Classic Uros - Amantani - Taquile (2 days / 1 night)
This is the classic tour that a pool of travel agencies puts together for small budget travelers. Even though it is a very popular trip, there is a lot of controversy about this low-priced tour group because it does not pay fairly to the locals for their food and home stay services.
The 3,600 inhabitants of Amantani have also a Quechua origin and they are mainly small farmers. The most important crops in Amantani are Andean potatoes, bailey and green beans. The "Amantaneños" have not been as successful in their tourism entrepreneurial initiatives as their neighbors from Taquile. However, they are able to welcome you with much appreciation and sincerity.
A visit to Amantani necessarily implies to stay one night on the island. The houses are very simple and services are basic. There is no running water, no electricity and of course no toilets or showers. For many people this home-stay experience and the encounter with the host family is a revelation of the reality of Andean people at such altitude.
Amantani Island is located 26 miles (38 Km) away from the city of Puno (3 ½ hours of navigation in normal boat). Because of a more distant location, tourism on the island of Amantani has not developed as much as in Taquile.
- Starts:8:00 a.m. Returns: 16:00 p.m. (second day)
- Price : $35.00 per person
Uros-Amantani-Taquile - group tour:
- Navigation time: 3 and ½ hours each way.
- Tour duration in Uros: 45 min
- Tour duration in Taquile: 3 hours
- 07:30 a.m.: *Pick up from hotels in downtown Puno
- 08:00 a.m.: Departure to floating islands and Taquile
- 08:30 a.m.: Visit of floating islands of Uros on the way to Amantani.
- 13:30 p.m.: Arrival in Amantani island
- 14:00 p.m.: Lunch in local house
- 15:00 p.m.: Hike in Amantani
- 18:00 p.m.: Dinner and overnight in local house
- 08:00 a.m.: Departure from Amantani to Taquile.
- 09:00 a.m.: Arrival in Taquile in northern dock and walk to main village
- 10:30 a.m.: Arrival in main village of Taquile
- 12:00 p.m.: Lunch time (lunch not included in price)
- 13:00 p.m.: Return to Puno from main dock (538 steps down)
- 16:00 p.m.: Arrival in Puno
Tour includes: Pick-up from hotels, English-Spanish speaking guide for 2 days, entrance fees, normal boat transportation (3 hour and Ż navigation). 40 soles or $17.00 for 3 meals and bed in home stay is to pay directly to the local family in Amantani. The local family will provide you also with three or more clean blankets. However we suggest using your sleeping bag if you have one with you. Toilets are basic. The local family will provide you also with three or more clean blankets. However we suggest using your sleeping bag if you have one with you.
Not included: Lunch in Taquile, tips
There is a supplemental charge of $8.50 per person for pick-up from hotels: Libertador, Casa Andina Private Collection, Eco Inn and Posada del Inka.