Cultural Exchange Uros - Amantani - Taquile (2 days / 1 night)
For years, the local people from Amantani have been struggling for getting better treatment and payment from travel agencies. This CULTURAL EXCHANGE TOUR has been created to help them to receive a fair payment for their cooking and lodging services. We are committed to provide a safe boat for your trip, an excellent tour guide, to pay your entrance fees on the islands, as well as providing suitable transfers from your hotel to harbor, plus you will visit the non-touristy side of Taquile island the second day. You will be in charge of paying directly to your host family a fare of 25 soles (9.50 USD approx.) per person. The community members have established this fare and think is reasonable.Espere...
Amantani island is located 26 miles (38 Km) away from the city of Puno (3 Ż hours of navigation in normal boat). Because of a more distant location, tourism on the island of Amantani has not developed in the same way as in Taquile. The main difference is that home-stays have remained a more authentic cultural experience in Amantani.
The 3,600 inhabitants of Amantani have also a Quechua origin and they are mainly small farmers. The most important crops in Amantani are Andean potatoes, bailey and green beans. The "Amantanenos" have not been as successful in their tourism entrepreneurial initiatives as their neighbors from Taquile. However, they have become excellent traders of the handicrafts that they produce such as the Andean grass baskets, embroideries, beautiful tapestry with baby alpaca fur and alpaca wool clothing.
A visit to Amantani necessarily implies to stay one nigt on the island. The houses are very simple and services are basic. There is no running water, no electricity and of course no comfortable toilets or showers.
For many people this home-stay experience and the encounter with the host family is a revelation of the reality of Andean people at such altitude. This cultural exchange experience in Amantani is very touching and fascinating. Also, in this tour, every traveler is welcome to share with the locals their time, some artistic gift, educational activities or just conversations. By participating in this tour you will contribute to improve the library that we are trying to implement in coordination with the local people from this island.
Group tour-shared basics
- Starts: 7:45 a.m. Returns: 17:00 p.m. (second day)
- Price per person: $50.00 per person.( minimun 04 people )
- Price for lodging and meals: ($17.00) per person to be paid directly to your host family in Amantani
Tour can start any time from 5:30 a.m and no later than 11:30 a.m. Price provided upon request.
Amantani - Uros - Taquile - Group Tour:
- 07:45 a.m.: *Pick up from hotels in downtown Puno.
- 08:00 a.m.: Departure to floating islands and Taquile.
- 08:30 a.m.: Visit of floating islands of Uros on the way to Amantani.
- 13:30 p.m.: Arrival in Amantani island.
- 14:00 p.m.: Lunch in local house.
- 15:00 p.m.: Hike and cultural exchange activities in Amantani.
- 18:00 p.m.: Dinner and overnight in local house.
- 08:00 a.m.: Departure from Amantani to Taquile.
- 09:00 a.m.: Arrival in Taquile and exploration of the non-touristy sector of the island.
- 11:45 a.m.: Lunch.
- 12:45 :1 hour and 15 minutes hike to main dock to return to Puno from main dock.
- 14:00 p.m: Departure from main dock.
- 17:00 p.m.: Arrival in Puno.
Tour includes: Pick-up from/to hotels, English-Spanish speaking guide for 2 days, entrance fees to Uros, Amantani and Taquile islands, boat transportation (3 hour navigation).
$17.00 for 3 meals and bed in home stay. The local family will provide you also with three or more clean blankets. However we suggest using your sleeping bag if you have one with you. Toilets are basic.
Not included: tips, lunch in Taquile island.
*There is a supplemental charge of $8.50 per person for pick-up from hotels outside downtown: Hotel Libertador, Casa Andina Private Collection, Eco Inn and Posada del Inka.
If you are planning to stay in the village of Chucuito you have to calculate a $25.00 dollar transfer fee from Chucuito to Puno.Visit the blog Cultural Exchange on AmantanÝ.
THIS CULTURAL TOUR INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING EXTRA ACTIVITIES:
- Hike and cultural exchange activities in Amantani (depending of the community we can visit the libraries, workshops with the local kids or parents or visit to local houses).
- Arrival in Taquile and Lunch included in Taquile.
- Exploration of the non-touristy sector of the island.