Luquina is a small and rarely visited rural community in the peninsula of Chucuito. It takes around 1 and a half hour’s boat ride from the town of Puno.
The local families from Luquina share with us their peaceful existence, each family lives on a small piece of land where they also keep their domestic animals. Sometimes they have donkeys, pigs, sheep and hens in a little barn next to the house.
WHY CULTURAL LUQUINA?
Around 15 families in Luquina have been trained to provide tourism services such as cooking and housekeeping. Today, the best rural guestrooms in Lake Titicaca are found in this community. Their rooms are cozy, very comfortable and most have a pretty view of the lake. The rooms have also clean private bathrooms and hot showers. They also offer clean and comfortable beds with thick and warm blankets.
ROUTE AND ITINERARY
ITINERARY: UROS > TAQUILE ISLAND > LUQUINA COMMUNITY > PUNO
All itineraries are subject to change due to circumstances beyond our control ￼including, weather, road or trail conditions and flight schedules.
- 8:00: The tour starts in Puno. We transfer you from the hotel to the dock in Puno. We embark on a boat journey towards Taquile Island and later on to the community of Luquina. On the way to Taquile, we stop by the floating Islands of Uros for a guided interpretation of the local way of life of the Uro people.
- 11:30: We arrive in Taquile Island and start a soft hike up to a community where we will enjoy a textile and cultural exhibition where a native guide will provide and interpretation of the traditional clothing and textile designs from Taquile.
- 12:30: Lunch in Taquile Island.
- 13:30: We return to the dock to continue our trip to the community of Luquina.
- 15:00: Upon our arrival in Luquina, we will be greeted and welcome by the friendly members of the community. We will immediately notice their beautiful bright typical clothing and enjoy the sound of their musical instruments.
As part of the community based tourism initiative, travelers cans spend time with the locals, gaining and insight into such daily activities as farming, fishing sailing and cookery. Some groups have been able to play soccer and volleyball against the locals; such sport activities are the favorites of local children and young people to share with the visitors.
- 19:00: A delicious dinner made of local produce will be served in the host family house: Quinoa soup and a tasty potato and vegetable stew with rice. Communication might be difficult as the local people speak mostly Aymara and some Spanish but they are very warm and gracious. Gesturing and smiling works often very well!
- 20:00: On the evening, the community will offer us a chance to enjoy their Andean music played with traditional instruments and we will be more than welcome to try to join the local group for either dancing or playing a local musical instrument. Do not be surprised when you will also be given the opportunity and privilege to try on the local dress and costumes.
- Lodgment in homestay
- 8:00: After breakfast, the morning will be filled with more activities such as hikes around the community and through the paths crossing the small farmlands or sailing on a fishermen’s boat around the peninsula’s cliffs. For those who love trekking, there is an option to do a one hour hike up to a lookout point. The hike can be tough, because of the altitude, but the views are worthy reward. The vastness of Lake Titicaca is breathtaking and the sight is graced with the small, terraced farms, adobe buildings and a peaceful lakeshore’s beach.
- 13:00: lunch time
- 14:00: After lunch our host families will wave goodbye as we embark again on the boat back to Puno and to continue on the next adventure.
- 15:30: We arrive in Puno dock and we will be transfer to our hotel.
WHAT ESSENTIALS SHOULD I BRING?
It is recommended to bring your sunglasses, sunscreen with high SPF,
moisturizing cream, bathing suit (just in case water is cold in the lake!), a hat, warm and comfortable clothes for night and dawn hours, cotton T-shirts during daytime, hand sanitizer and camera.
ANY DOUBTS OR MORE INFORMATION?
CHECK OUT THE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (F.A.Q.)
INCLUDED / EXCLUDED
|ROUTE ONE WAY||1 – 4 PAXS.||5 – 9 PAXS.||10 – 15 PAXS.||16 – 22 PAXS.||16 – 25 PAXS.|
|PUNO-LUQUINA or vice versa||$102,70||$119,70||$120,80||$186,90||$276,00|
|LUQUINA-KASANI or DESAGUADERO or vice versa||$220,00||$254,00||$305,00||$416,90||$562,00|
|TOTAL NET PRICE IN US DOLLARS|